Looking for a fun, yummy treat this holiday weekend? Dairy Farmer, Taunya Otten loves to bake, and she shared this recipe for “make your own sugar cookie pizzas” with us.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ tsp orange extract
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2cup butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese (regular or Neufchatel)
- About 1 ½ lbs confectioners’ sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ tsp orange extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk, if needed
- Various fruits like mandarin oranges, banana slices, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, peaches, pineapple, coconut, etc. Use your imagination!
STEP 1: Mix
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Add sour cream and extracts; mix well. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
STEP 2 – Bake
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a well-floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. (Note: If the dough is sticky, add more flour until it is soft and workable.) Cut with a round floured 3-in. cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
STEP 3: Frosting
- For frosting, in a bowl, beat butter, cream cheese and extracts. Add enough confectioners’ sugar, to make the consistency of frosting you like. If it is too stiff, add enough milk to reach desired consistency. Spread over cookies.
Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
STEP 4: Be creative!
To make pizzas, put out bowls of the fruits and let everyone use a frosted cookie to make their own “combination fruit pizza” using whatever fruits they like!
Taunya Otten and her husband, Russell, were both raised on small dairy farms in Sanpete County, Utah, and now they are raising their 6 children on a large, modern dairy farm in Clarion, Utah. Taunya’s hobbies include cows, traveling, baking bread and cookies, and driving her kids into town and back to the farm. Even though dairy farming has changed over her lifetime, Taunya still believes it is ALL ABOUT THE COWS!
Visit the farm on Instagram: @Barexdairyfamily