Utah has wonderful peaches, and peak peach season is just about a month away. In anticipation, we caught up with Shanna Gibbons – dairy farmer, master gardener, master canner, wonderful cook, artist, and mom-extradionaire who shared one of her favorite summer recipes with us. The pie crust is a family tradition – the fool-proof recipe is from her mother-in-law, and the pie can be adjusted to suit a variety of fresh summer fruit. We have included classic peach as well as a strawberry variation. Enjoy!
Ingredients – Peach Pie:
- 1 baked pie crust
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pkg unflavored Knox gelatin
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup peaches, finely cut
- 4-5 cups fresh peaches, sliced
Ingredients – Pie Crust:
Note: Makes 6-7 crusts. Can be halved.
- 6 cups flour, not too rounded
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 lb lard
- 1 egg
- ~3/4 cup milk
- For the Crust: Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together. Add lard. Beat egg in measuring cup and add just enough milk to bring the measurement to 1 cup. Mix to form a dough. Spread into pie plate, poke with holes, cover with parchment and fill with pie weights or beans. Bake ~15 minutes, remove weights and parchment and continue cooking until slightly golden ~10 minutes more.
- For the Filling: Mix cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Place in microwave for about 30 seconds – this willl help with spreading. Spread over bottom of cooled pie shell. Mix water, sugar, lemon juice, gelatin, cornstarch and 1/2 cup peaches. Cook on stove until clear and thick. Cool for a few minutes, then add 4-5 cups fresh peaches. Stir and pour into prepared pie shell. Top with fresh whipped cream.
Variation: This recipe is easily adjusted to make fresh strawberry pie.
For Fresh Strawberry Pie: Mix and cook 1 box of Danish dessert according to recipe on box. Cool. Add fresh strawberries and poor into pie shell. Enjoy with fresh whipped cream.